Welcome and Thanks!

***** A Notice****** Thanks to so many for coming to this blog over the past year and becoming such great blog friends. I have learned much and laughed often. Yet as the author of 2 blogs I have often felt... well... disjointed. In an effort to marry the 2 sides of my life, and to hopefully continue on in my relationship with you the reader, I am now combining my blogs into 1 new one. I do so hope that you will join me here. I just love hearing your happy voices as often as I can! See you soon......................
www.rachelshorsesandhounds.blogspot.com

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Honoring the Dog and a Giveaway!


(Image courtesy of this site)
Can you wrap your brain around the countless ways that dogs serve humanity? I can't. The love and devotion of a dog never ceases to amaze me. Just this past Sunday, ABC's show "Extreme Makeover Home Edition," featured a story of a dog that saved his family from their burning house. Remarkable, though some might argue that he was trying to save his environment, his home, his comfort? But for anyone who has ever loved a dog... we know that to simply NOT be the case. Dogs love with self sacrificing love and often put themselves between the people they care for and any harm that might come to them. True of our pets. True throughout time. True even today. As Veteran's Day approaches I always think back to the countless ways that dogs have served man in times of war. Dogs have acted as servants, friends, and therapists throughout all conflict in the history of mankind. Anywhere a human goes a dog will go too... regardless of peril or fear. Many organizations exist that honor the memory of our dog veterans, collect their stories for future generations and aid in bringing dogs home from their service so far away!
At Eglin Air Force Base Florida, The Military Working Dog Monument stands as a testimony to dogs who were commissioned members of the military and served alongside their military handlers. In an effort to honor these dogs and handlers, this association maintains the monument while collecting and archiving the stories of their service.
The U.S. War Dogs Association honors service dogs through the collection of historical accounts and photos. Both military dogs and companion dogs in war zones are highlighted in the association's efforts.

And as many of you might have heard the SPCA has a sub-organization called "Operation Baghdad Pups" that aids soldiers in bringing their precious companions home from war zones. Sometimes a dog (or cat) becomes an informal mascot and friend to an entire camp of soldiers and often a soldier makes a bond with a found and discarded pet. In any case the morale, support and devotion a pet can offer a soldier is too important to discard. Because of the aid from the SPCA and other private organizations, the U.S. military is now very aware of the absolute moral obligation we have to those animals who are saving the lives of deployed soldiers! The love of an animal can be a lifeline like no other to those living with unimaginable stress.
Tomorrow I want highlight another dog/veteran related organization with an amazing mission!

Will you join me tomorrow?

I hope so. And to show my appreciation I want to offer a little token of my appreciation. For anyone who comes back tomorrow on Veteran's Day... and leaves a comment on this or the next post... I will make a donation to tomorrow's highlighted organization in your name, your fur friend's name, or the name of your hero!
The winner will be drawn, by random" pawing" on Sunday November 14th at midnight EST! Thanks for reading and I am looking forward to helping canine heroes with you by my side!

16 comments:

  1. What a fabulous post! I'm going to link to it on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a GREAT post!

    I'm going to add it to ours as well!

    I saw some Malinois! Mom has a soft spot fur the Belgian breeds too!

    Hugz&Khysses,
    Khyra

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, thank you, thank you! I love those Malinois too Khyra. Tell your Mom!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a terrific post celebrating so many brave and loyal canines.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post! Always good to remind bipeds of all the ways we love 'em, right? we;ll add a link from our blog too.

    Happy veterans day!
    Jack & Moo

    ReplyDelete
  6. O hai! Happy Veterans Day. Thank u for the post. I am very proud of all the people and dogs who serve their country.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for posting about Veterans Day - so many people think it's just another day off from work - the don't realize that so many gave so much to keep our nation free.

    XOXO
    Lilly, Piper, Carrleigh and Ruairi

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dogs have been the one single thing on earth that can truly comfort man, and yet they ask for nothing.

    Wonderful post,

    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  9. A great tribute to those brave soldiers and canine.

    Happy Veteran's Day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree with all the above. Wonderful post! I saw it on Khyra's blog and will add the link to mine!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for sharing this lovely tribute. There is so much to remember and think about. This program sounds fantastic. I'm so glad there are people out there thinking and working for such an important cause.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a beautiful post. I'm so glad that they're working to bring the dogs back with the soldiers. I was watching a documentary on dog soldiers in Vietnam once, and really enjoyed it - until I saw the statistics at the end about how few dogs ever came back from the war. And these were the dogs who were commandeered from peoples homes as former house pets. It was very upsetting, but hopefully that'll never happen again.

    We'll be checking back tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Khyra sent us over. What a wonderful post!

    Love ya lots,
    Maggie and Mitch

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey Oliver! My name is Tommy and I live in France. And, looking at your photo, I'm wondering if we might be distant cousins...?!

    By the Way, I gather that English Springer Spaniels are used quite a bit by the British Army!

    Woofs,
    Tommy

    ReplyDelete
  15. I came from Khyra's blog, Thanks for such a great post.
    We will never forget
    Jan and George xxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. I also came from Khyra'S blog.
    A very nice tribute
    xoxo
    tweedles

    ReplyDelete