Welcome and Thanks!

***** A Notice****** Thanks to so many for coming to this blog over the past year and becoming such great blog friends. I have learned much and laughed often. Yet as the author of 2 blogs I have often felt... well... disjointed. In an effort to marry the 2 sides of my life, and to hopefully continue on in my relationship with you the reader, I am now combining my blogs into 1 new one. I do so hope that you will join me here. I just love hearing your happy voices as often as I can! See you soon......................
www.rachelshorsesandhounds.blogspot.com

Monday, August 31, 2009

Hey Lady... That's one strange lookin' dog!


We have a new puppy! Isn't he cute? Okay he's not a canine, he's an equine and I am a dog person but I think I can adapt. This little fella is a "pony/mule." And to answer the question that I get every time I utter the phrase "pony-mule," he is a pony bred to a donkey... which makes him... strange but cute. A "pule" or perhaps a "mony," if you please. Anyway, a neighbor brought him to us in hopes that we can train him (for pulling and hauling during deer season) and she also hoped that my son would use him as an FFA project. Basically he's our pet without the vet bills, HUZZAH! I have trained other neighbor's dogs in the past (I even got to work with a Weimaraner this summer,) but I have never, EVER been asked to do this before! So with a lack of equine experience, my son and I are approaching it as if it were another puppy... how different can they really be? After one day he is allowing us to lead him with just the use of a click and an apple treat... just like a dog right? If he starts fetching I'll be sure to let ya'll (and Guinness Book,) know right away! P.S. Our new pack... uh I mean herd member... is named Frankie.

10 comments:

  1. We're anxious to hear how this pans out!!

    XOXO
    Lilly, Piper, Carrleigh and Java

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wrooo wroooo,
    Our mom has always wanted a mule...
    Frankie is a cutie!
    Is he house-broken yet-chuckle!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Khool!

    Tank woo fur sharing!

    I bet he doesn't walk as fast as I do!

    Hugz&Khysses,
    Khyra

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey there, Rachel
    GREETINGS FROM SOUTH AFRICA
    For some reason I have missed your blog and I do apologise. I know you visit us, but my cluelessness prevailed. I will put it on my various lists immediately. Please accept my apoloties!
    What a beautiful blog you have and what a cute post. This is going to be an interesting story about your new addition. We are looking forward to hearing all about your adventures with him (we take it it's a 'him')
    Lots of licks
    MAXDOG IN SOUTH AFRCA

    ReplyDelete
  5. WELCOME HOME FRANKIE!!!!!!
    OMDDDDDDDDDDD!!!!
    What a great new addiction to your family you had dear Rachel!!!!
    He looks soooooooooooooo cute and beautiful!!!
    We want one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    We're sure you'll be a great trainer for him!!!
    Can't wait to hear news about your adventures with him!!!
    HAve a wonderful tuesday!!!!
    We love youuuuuuuuuu!!!
    And we'll be honored to come in your mountains and playing with you!!!
    Tons of love and kisses

    ReplyDelete
  6. Too cute! I don't have much experience with mules, but I have a lifetime of experience training horses and ponies. If you have any questions just ask!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pretty cute puppy! Frankie!
    Mom wishes you could help with my training...that would be great!!! But, she will do the best she can, and with the help of puppy class, and private lessons.....

    Hugs and snaggle-tooth kisses,
    Sierra Rose

    ReplyDelete
  8. Uhm, momma thinks that it's poopie is gonna be bigger than a puppy, yes, she does☺

    ReplyDelete
  9. apples.........love......and more apples -

    that'll do the trick!

    (and thanks for your awesome comment today)

    ReplyDelete