Welcome and Thanks!

***** A Notice****** Thanks to so many for coming to this blog over the past year and becoming such great blog friends. I have learned much and laughed often. Yet as the author of 2 blogs I have often felt... well... disjointed. In an effort to marry the 2 sides of my life, and to hopefully continue on in my relationship with you the reader, I am now combining my blogs into 1 new one. I do so hope that you will join me here. I just love hearing your happy voices as often as I can! See you soon......................
www.rachelshorsesandhounds.blogspot.com

Friday, August 21, 2009

Bailey Gets Older


As this Summer season is drawing to a close, I have Bailey on my mind. At the age of 14, I wonder if he will make it through to his 15th birthday in February. He is definitely showing the signs of his advanced age and life is not as easy for him as it once was. Yet, despite his difficulty in getting up, eyes riddled with cataracts and the tell-tale tumors Springers often get... he still has a small spark. When we walk in the room, his tail still wags and he still appreciates a good meal. I suppose that's why we love dogs. Even with their dying breath... they love us.
When Bailey was an 8 wk. old pup I took him to the beach to play. I hadn't picked a name for him yet but knew I wanted it to be something about coffee, because he looked like a little cup of coffee that hadn't had the cream quite stirred in yet. A girl stopped me and asked what my puppy's name was. When I told her that he didn't have name yet, she said, "If he were mine I would name him Bailey because he looks like someone poured Bailey's Irish Cream into their coffee and forgot to stir."A-HA, yes that was what I was thinking too but had not articulated it so well.
As difficult as it is to see your beloved friend get old... there are many joys with it as well. We have a history. Bailey has sopped my tears and jumped to the sound of my laughter more times than I can count. He has been a constant, faithful and devoted companion in ways that no human ever could be. He has paddled down rivers, jumped off cliffs, raced along a snow machine, hiked countless mountain miles, made friends with an otter and came to an "understanding" with a porcupine. He has guarded and protected me more times than I probably even know. And when he flushed birds... it was sheer poetic joy to behold. I love him and he has loved me even when I didn't deserve his love. What can I ever do to repay that? Nothing. So, I am trying to be the best steward to him that I can be. I will clean up after him and scratch the itches he can't reach. I will feed him what he wants and make sure he has a comfy bed. And if he makes it through the upcoming cold season... I will keep his spot next to the fire reserved just for him. It's the least I can do for an old and dear friend.

8 comments:

  1. You wrote this so beautifully. Thanks for sharing your love affair. My assistant and I both need a tissue though...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwww...
    what a wonderful post for your sweet and cute friend.....
    great and lovely words...I think is very very very hard seeing our best friends become old...
    We must take care of them with all our love to give them the best life possible always!!!!
    Thanks for sharing all your love for bailey with us!!!!!
    Would love were with you to cuddle him a lot!!!!
    Have a wonderful weekend!!!!
    Sweet kisses and licks

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Rachel,
    This is beautiful and touchy.
    It is so hard to watch our best friends get old...Our Zack is 11 and is showing his age too.
    Hugs to all, especially Bailey!
    Kit

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mom is fighting being leaky now fur my eldest living Sibesta Kyrye will be 15 in two months...

    Many of the same things woo wrote about Bailey apply to my mom's experiences with Kyrye!

    Hugz&Khysses,
    Khyra

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's tough to see our little friends getting older. Tucker's nose and paws are almost completely grey now. I think he'll be silver in a few more years instead of red.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a sweet post - it made our Mom leak a little. She is going through the same emotions with our Java Bean. He is 12 and has a lot of ached and pains.

    XOXO
    Lilly, Piper, Carrleigh and Java

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi,

    We have left an award for you on our bloggie.

    XOXO
    Lilly, Piper, Carrleigh and Java

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, I have only just discovered your blog, but had to say that your beautiful post bought a tear to my eyes. Jo

    ReplyDelete