Welcome and Thanks!

***** A Notice****** Thanks to so many for coming to this blog over the past year and becoming such great blog friends. I have learned much and laughed often. Yet as the author of 2 blogs I have often felt... well... disjointed. In an effort to marry the 2 sides of my life, and to hopefully continue on in my relationship with you the reader, I am now combining my blogs into 1 new one. I do so hope that you will join me here. I just love hearing your happy voices as often as I can! See you soon......................
www.rachelshorsesandhounds.blogspot.com

Monday, July 6, 2009

The Party's Over!


The 4th of July has come and gone and it was a blast, (get it... a blast... funny.) Our family spent the day with friends and enjoyed hamburgers and baked beans and cupcakes and cobbler... oh my! We felt like the pups should stay back this time just for the sake of peace of mind. Although none of them show aversions to loud noises, (hunting breeds shouldn't, but you never know,) we felt the occasion would best be put in the "better safe than sorry" category. Our beloved Dalmatian, Maggie, used to have such a horrible response to the 4th because of the LOUD fireworks. She would absolutely come unglued! So, we wanted to make the 4th a bearable, if not pleasant experience for the pack. Of course conditioning is the key, so we gave special treats to mark the day... Cheetos! (I know they are not that healthy... we don't judge here :) ) We made a little game of getting the Cheetos before we left for our celebration and it looked like this...
Ruby is about to "speak" for a treat. We also made sure everyone had plenty of exercise to tire them out and the little one went in his crate for added security. We don't know if any of our neighbors shot off fireworks, but everyone looked relatively calm and relaxed when we got home. At our friend's house however... this little guy came ready for the party and completely undaunted by the unfolding events...
This is Scooter and he is one of the most laid back fellas I have ever met! He lives in a retirement community with his Dad Harry and visits his Mom in a nearby nursing facility, often. Harry says the ladies at the nursing home love him so and practically jump out of bed to touch him. That's the miraculous power of a dog... no? Scooter wasn't scared of those nasty fireworks and he made sure to protect Harry from them! Good boy Scooter. It was a great day for all, human and canine alike, and we look forward to another celebration next year. Hope ya'll had a great one too!

9 comments:

  1. So, when is the next pawty?

    Mom and I always feel it isn't just the noise that gets 'us' - it is the smell of the various khhemikhals used to make the 'boomer'stuffs!

    Scooter is a khutie!

    Hugz&Khysses,
    Khyra

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello. Just checking out new blogs and I really like yours. Feel free to come check out mine if you'd like. And I think that one owl picture is the cutest thing ever. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. We crated Sadie during the fireworks, I think that made her feel better. I don't know what she went through before we adopted her but she hates the garden hose too....whenever I bring it out to water the grass she runs and hides...and if I'm out walking her and someone has their sprinkler on she tries to get across to the other side of the street. Most dogs love to get wet, don't they?

    Your photos are so cute, I don't think Cheetos are too bad....:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. We love Cheetos, but rarely get them because Mom is allergic to MSG. Your dogs are lucky.

    Sounds like you had a great 4th of July. Mom and Dad went to a friend's house for dinner but we stayed at home - no boomers here - we live too far out. But we did hear a few last night. Piper was the only one who want to go and kick their boomer butts!!

    XOXO
    Lilly, Piper, Carrleigh and Java

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such cute and calm dogs...wish I could say the same for my beagle, Shiloh. I know she's a hunting breed, so I have no idea where the aversion to loud or even not-so-loud noises comes from. She gets crated while we are out enjoying fireworks. Thanks for sharing the lovely pics of your dogs, they're adorable! It was nice to meet you via SITS!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad you had a good Independence Day! We did too! Mom and Dad stayed home with us and watched their favorite Christian TV Channel and all the Patriotic Specials they ran all day... It was nice and peaceful with lots of pets and snuggles! OC

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, again. Just noticed you are on networked Blogs. I'll have to look for you. Country Corgis is on there too, as are a couple other of our anipal bloggers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi there! Parties galore!
    Not sure if I like the kabooms...didn't try them this year.

    See you soon!
    Hugs, and snaggle-tooth kisses,
    Sierra Rose

    ReplyDelete